Wish list
Now that the date to departure is drawing nearer, sometimes I find myself escaping to some dreams (especially as an escape to studying corporate finance!). I used to stop myself from doing this, fearing it would influence my expectations in some grandiose, unachievable way... only to be let down by the reality. Yet, I think it's good to dream, while still steadfastly reminding yourself that "expect the unexpected" is the best you can do, even after all the preparation, planning... and yes, dreams as well. Dreams help you see beyond what you know will be there on your internship (living in a new country - check, being an intern in an organization - check, meeting new people - check). It makes you think about doing the things you'd never otherwise do, or never again have the opportunity. It makes you think of the experience of more than just working and living somewhere new.
So as part of my wish list, there are a few sites, regions, and countries I hope to discover. I know I won't see it all, but I'd like to come to this a year later and see how I did!
Within France: to stay with a family in Provence for a home-cooked French meal, to explore Southern France and take silly, modelesque shots along the Riviera, to visit the Mosquée de Paris, to bike to work, to take a dip in the Seine ;), to enjoy a picnic lunch - or two - in a Parisian park, to learn more, first-hand, about the issues affecting the Muslim immigrant population in France (a topic on which I had once written a paper).
Elsewhere: to cover a Mediterranean sweep of Spain/Portugal/Morocco in the dead of the winter, to visit the Czech Republic, Hungary, and Austria; to go as close to the Arctic circle as possible in Scandinavia; to visit Tunisia, Algeria, Libya and Egypt (okay, maybe not all of them will be possible...); to go back for a brief visit to the Middle East (I miss my Jordanian family!)... oh and I'm sure if I let my dreams continue unabashed, I would add much more to the list.
Truth be told, my ultimate dream is to traverse one of the ancient Silk Road routes one day... from the edge of Europe, through Eurasia, and finally Asia. So let us see what will happen in the next year or so.
As for now, I'll put the dreams aside temporarily and resume the painful process of cramming for corporate finance.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home