Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Six years later

When I first joined AIESEC, the only thing I really knew about was the exchange program. I was fortunate enough to join AIESEC in my first year of university, and instead of it being a simple platform to go on exchange, it became a platform through which I discovered and shaped new directions for my life.

Like many others, my story began by being quickly thrown into a position of responsibility. No training, no team, and no direction - it was up to me to train myself, to build a team, and to envision and set forth a direction.

For some reason I didn't shy away from the challenge, although I was indeed very shy and lacking a great a deal of confidence at the time. I was amazed to see how pushing your limits and striving for a sense of impact completely changed me. Now, after 3 years as a VP and then an LCP, 1 year on the national team of AIESEC Canada, 3 months as a CEEDer in Jordan, 20+ countries and conferences later, I am an exchange participant myself - finally ready to begin an experience that I have helped facilitate for others over the past 6 years.

My memories come back to my first AIESEC conference, where a video was shown of a Canadian AIESECer doing her internship in the Czech Republic. I fell in love with the idea of doing an exchange as I watched bits and pieces of this intern's experience on video. The highs, the lows, completely immersing yourself in a new culture, the raw you, the familial spirit of the host AIESEC members... It was this video that had me hooked. I began my AIESEC Experience knowing that some day (as it turns out, it would be later rather than sooner!) an exchange would be a part of that journey.

Being that this day is almost here, to capture these moments and to give back to AIESEC in some small way through sharing my story, I welcome you to come along for the ride!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home